Lotion bars are a great way to naturally cleanse and moisturize. These are solid at room temperature like a bar of soap, but when rubbed on the skin, a tiny amount melts and is transferred to the skin, leaving a highly moisturizing and very thin layer.
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup shea butter, cocoa butter or mango butter (or a mix of all three)
- 1 cup beeswax pastilles
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Combine all ingredients (except essential oils if using) in a double boiler, or a glass bowl over a smaller saucepan with 1 inch of water in it. OR – Combine in a quart size glass mason jar with a lid instead and place this in a small saucepan of water until melted. This will save your bowl and you can just designate this jar for these type of projects and not even need to wash it out!
- Turn the burner on and bring water to a boil. Stir ingredients constantly until they are melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the essential oils.
- Gently stir by hand until essential oils are incorporated.
- Carefully pour into molds or whatever you will be allowing the lotion bars to harden in. I used these silicone baking cups, though any mold would work.
- Allow the lotion bars to cool completely before attempting to pop out of molds.
These could be made in different shaped molds for different holiday gifts (hearts for valentines, flowers for Mother’s day, etc.) or made in a square baking pan and then cut into actual bars.